Friday, April 22, 2011

Invasion (Updated)

He was in my room. He was in my goddamn room. I don’t know for sure how he got in, but he was right in here with me last night. I can’t remember ever feeling so violated before. I’m not even safe in my own home.
I woke up when I felt him sit at the edge of my bed. Still mostly asleep and having no idea what was going on, I kicked out at him, figuring it was just Mary’s cat. A knife pressed to my throat was the response. I was pretty fucking awake after that.

“Don’t move. Don’t even fucking think about moving or I will cut you,” He growled, pushing the cold metal into my skin. I couldn’t see anything in my pitch black room, but I don’t think he was even looking at me.
“I bet you thought you were out of the woods. I bet you thought you’d just get to go on with your life. Wrong wrong wrong. I can’t let you out of the woods. You have to die there, your body on the ground with all your loved ones. You don’t get a life. Not after what you did to Harry.”

Before last night, I had only ever encountered one legitimately insane person. I was visiting my father in the hospital after his leg surgery. I passed some woman in the hall who was talking to herself, and not in the sane way. You could tell in her voice that something was missing. This man in my room sounded similar, yet somehow even sadder than that broken woman, wandering those sanitized halls.

“I lost everything because of you. You and your stupid story. Your stupid dreams in your fucking darkness. I’ll show you darkness. I’ll FUCKING show you darkness!” The knife dug deeper into my throat as he was suddenly on top of me. All I could see were those blue eyes, shining through the darkness, and the fire burning in them. I knew I was going to die, and those were the last things I was going to see.

And then he suddenly stood up, letting me take a gasp for air as the knife left my throat. I could feel a single drop of blood drip down my neck. His footsteps seemed to echo through my room as he paced back and forth, muttering to himself.

“But I have to kill him. He did it. It’s HIS fault. He has to pay. And so do all those other people. But… not yet? I don’t… That’s right. I don’t kill him yet. I forgot. I forgot I have to kill Damien. He isn’t Damien. I’ll make him Damien. And then he can die. And then all the others can die and you can SHUT UP!” He shouted at nothing before whimpering to himself, “…And I can go back to my family.”

I lay silent in my bed, every word carved into my memory. I don’t think I moved for three hours before I finally reached up and turned on the light. The man was gone. I spent the rest of the night sitting in the living room with every light on. I kept my back pressed to the front door. In one hand I had my baseball bat, the other held my phone. I sat there until sun up, repeating that scene in my head over and over again.

I have a feeling I’ll be sitting there again tonight. Also, I’m having a talk with Mary as soon as she gets home from work. If he’s making my life into Damien’s…

EDIT:
She still isn't home. Police have been informed.

4 comments:

  1. Get a knife, or a gun, really just get anything you can to defend your self from this maniac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess he had a BONE to pick with you.
    yeeeeeeaaaaaah


    Seriously, get some fucking protection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you considered hiding out in a local hotel for a while? You and anyone close to you is going to be a target for this nut; they're going to need just as much protection.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry, but she's gone, Alex.

    You're the only one who can stop this from getting worse. It only takes a few words.

    ReplyDelete