Friday, May 27, 2011

Waking Up


My neck is sore, covered in purple splotches. I’m still not breathing quite right. Judith, my family, and I’ve been bustled from place to place all day. Yet, I really don’t mind. Because it’s over. The nightmare is finally over. They caught Brett.  I can finally sleep soundly for the first time since Mary died.

Judith and I were moved to a hotel room after Brett’s little post on MaleOrderMan, with three officers posted at the door and a few others scattered across the floor we were staying on. It seemed foolproof, until last night. Judith was in the shower while blaring music from her laptop, as she always does. I had just stepped back in from the balcony, when a pair of strong arms wrapped around my throat.

“No more no more no more hide and seek,” Brett said. I started panicking, unable to breathe.

I still don’t know how he found us. I still don’t know how he got past the police and into the hotel room. Fifth floor, no way in other than the guarded front door, and still he somehow found his way inside. I’m not sure I’ll ever understand how that mad man was capable of doing everything he did, but it doesn’t matter anymore because now he’s chained up in a cell under 24 hour watch.

“Shh… don’t struggle. You don’t die yet. Her first. Gotta kill Damien. Gotta kill the author. You aren’t him yet. Not until she dies,” Brett whispered, his lips so close they may as well have been brushing against my ear. His grip tightened even more, “You sleep now.”

I blacked out.

I woke up to find my apartment filled with activity. A paramedic was crouched over me, shining a light in my eyes before turning to someone else and shouting that I was awake. The only thing I could think about was Judith and what that monster had done to her.

The shock and joy I felt when she ran to me and embraced me was like nothing I’ve ever felt.

Judith explained everything to me. She’d come out of the shower to find Brett standing over my unconscious body. He’d charged at her, so she used both the taser and the pepper spray she’s had with her since coming back from Kiera’s on him. Apparently the combination stopped him in his tracks. Judith called for help, the police came in, and Brett was in handcuffs before he could react. After that, it was just a matter of getting me awake and taking him to the station. Then today with all the paperwork and procedure…

I can’t believe it’s finally over. Judith is alive. My family is alive. I’m alive. The nightmare is over. I can get back to writing, and my life can finally go on.

9 comments:

  1. Now, the difference between you and Judith? SHE was smart enough to get Pepper Spray. And a Taser. Something we've been telling you to do for how long?

    I mean, come on Alex, the only reason you're both alive right now is because she actually took some advice. Of course, you're going to ignore that fact because obviously you MUST be doing something right if you're alive. Keep dreaming kiddo, you can't expect Judith to keep saving you.

    Seriously man, you're going to get yourself killed at this rate.

    In any case, it's not like this is over. You read the notebook. You've got bigger and meaner things than Brett coming your way.

    Of course, you're not going to listen to me. No one's smart enough for you to take their advice, obviously. Just keep grasping that idiot ball and run it to the end zone.

    I don't even know why I still try. Just remember Alex: This isn't over. Something bigger is coming. You were warned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm sure you'll be writing quite a lot in the coming months, Alex. Try not to do too much binary, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, Mr. Sage, because both of those would have done so much good for me considering the circumstances of having been caught flatfooted in a chokehold. I actually have had a taser on me since the second break-in. I just haven't, ya know, mentioned it considering I'd rather have gotten the drop on Brett.

    As for the notebook... I haven't actually read much. Judith is the one who's been reading it a lot lately. However, it does fascinate me. Whether I need it or not now that Brett is gone, the notebook is just too good of an opportunity to pass up on. I think I'll be posting its contents here. A little preview of a future work, I think.

    As for you, "alone", I will be writing quite a lot. I have one hell of a story now. As for binary, I believe I will stick to decimal, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no no no, Alex, don't do it. Don't let her read it. Don't take this "opportunity." Haven't you learned from what happened when you called "Dreams in Darkness" your own? Jesus Christ on Crutches man, not many people get to put a lid on Pandora's Box. Write something based on your experiences, burn the notebook, walk away, just don't do what you're thinking of doing. Please, god, don't make the same mistake twice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, Sage, literary references? A man after my own heart.

    Call me Marcus, Alex. I have a feeling we'll have a lot of opportunity to talk in the coming months. Have fun with your story. Just be careful it doesn't become a biography.

    (Also, publicly admitting your plans to plagiarise a diary are not going to earn you brownie points with the publishing industry. I should know, I ran a publishing house for four years.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First off, way to live up to what I told you, Judith. Fry that son of a bitch, make him choke, and then send him off in chains. The police department and I may not be on the best of terms, but at least you, and that useless boyfriend, are safe now.

    As for you, douchebag, and your apparent plans for the notebook, you're just digging your own fucking grave. I may not like the idea of Damien's personal life spilling out all over the Internet, but he's dead and gone anyways.

    However, my opinion will change if you do not follow this one fucking rule. Can you do that? ONE RULE.

    Do NOT post anything by TheArsonist. Okay? Not one damned word. In fact, don't even read that fucker's entries. It's all madness that will get you nowhere.

    I know you most likely will be your typical arrogant douche-self and won't listen to this, but it had to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kira, thank you for all your help. I don't want to think of how this would have ended without you in the equation. But I still have questions and obviously Alex isn't going to be any help.

    Thank you for your concern Sage, but I need to know what's going on here. The notebook is fascinating and is giving me answers. Don't think I'll put it down soon....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Judith, come on! Stop me if you've heard this one before: You find a strange book with neverending pages filled with strange writing and odd sigils. Suddenly, you find your perception of reality altered and people walk around with two heads. Oh, and a tall, faceless gentleman in a suit tries to murder you.

    Look, I know it sounds completely insane, but if you saw ANYTHING when you were hanging out with Kiera, you saw that even if it is insane there are people that believe it. People who will stop at nothing for something like that book.

    Just burn it and walk away. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While i agree with Mr Sage, i find Kiera more trust worthy than Alex so... maybe this will give you the answers that you're looking for

    Just be careful ok Judith? i have this feeling that you are in the middle of something much bigger than you and maybe it's not late for you to escape that mess

    ReplyDelete